Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Reading with four eyes

I've been wearing glasses since I was eight years old. The eye doctor took one look at my eyes, small from all the squinting I had to do while reading The New Book of Knowledge way before everyone woke up, and came up with one diagnosis: Myopia.

It's been both a boon and a bane for me. I couldn't get into fights that much since glasses were expensive, so I had to remove my specs before engaging in fisticuffs. Predictably, I ended up with a black eye most of the time. Also, my eyesight (or lack thereof) impeded my ability to hit three-point shots; I think I hit my first three-pointer when I was already in fifth grade. Which was a pity, come to think of it, since I could run and jump better than most ballers my age.

This is all moot and academic now, and I have made peace with my corrective lenses. People say my glasses make me look older and that I shouldn't hide my eyes, but what the hell. I still play basketball, and I've more or less mastered the art of taking long-distance shots by echolocation. I've sneaked in an uppercut or two and left a few bullies out cold.

Still, short of actually taking them off at bedtime, I can't imagine myself not wearing glasses. Not even with contact lenses nor LASIK. They give me some semblance of credibility. After all, I
am nearsighted precisely because of my misguided attempts at literacy. So just indulge me. I'm here to write about what I read, and trust me, these spectacles I'm wearing now will serve their purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment